Thursday, January 29, 2009

Illusion vs. Reality

"I'm telling you, once and for all, that unless you return to square one and start over like children, you're not even going to get a look at the kingdom, let alone get in. Whoever becomes simple and elemental again, like this child, will rank high in God's kingdom.” Matthew 18:2-5 The Message

One of my favorite buddies of all time is named Brian. He is eight years old and the son of one of my dearest friends.

Brian lives his young life in a grand and wonderful way. For example, one day at the beach, I watched how he got through the waves that were bigger than him. Equipped with nothing more than a life preserver and his dad’s watchful eye, Brian would take a running start and dive into the wave headfirst as if he were a fullback diving for a first down. He would then emerge from the backside of the wave laughing hysterically, and prepare himself for when the next wave came along. There was another time when I watched him take on eleven older boys in a game of laser tag, beating them without mercy. But my favorite thoughts of Brian are from when he and his dad come to visit me at my house. Brian usually brings his collection of miniature cars with him because I have a similar collection from when I was a boy. We lay our collections out side by side to compare them. Brian carefully studies each and every car, thoughtfully weighing his options. He always makes me an offer. We then barter, and we make a trade or two. Brian gets the better of me most every time. He has an uncanny ability to focus his young mind on the task and the reality at hand. He lives every moment as it comes, fully enjoying the process of life.

It’s been a long time, but I remember enjoying life the way Brian enjoys it. Being excited about the possible adventure that each day might bring. Unfortunately, things aren’t like that for me much anymore. Daily, I am reminded of the minimum requirement that is expected of me, and the price I pay if I don’t meet or exceed expectations. I am fully aware of how I am responsible for my job, my finances, my actions, my family, my future, my life. And I have no argument with my responsibilities. I have no argument with reality. I consider myself a good person, after all. And, I want to do my responsibilities in a way that helps others and affirms my character at the same time. I guess what bothers me is how the world defines reality.

Reality from the world’s point of view evaluates and judges us. It measures us according to our credit score, our employment history, our marital and financial status, the size of our waistline and the value of our 401K, assuming we still have one. A reality like this sets us up. It reduces life to little more than a beauty contest, poker game, quiz show and marathon all wrapped up into one. It demands that we measure up to standards that we can’t always meet. The world’s reality offers solutions that sound good, but how good are they? The world’s solutions come in the form of insurance, books, education, programs, techniques, formulas, experts, physical force, and laws. These things are good when used appropriately, but they are not always reliable because they depend on circumstances that cannot be controlled all of the time. Taking a deeper look, we will see how the world’s definition of reality has illusion in it. We’ll see how it is contrary to the pure reality that is from God. And we’ll admit the illusionary reality of the world seems more real to us than the pure reality of God’s love. This needs to change.

I like the way Brian views reality. What the world may call childhood foolishness or illusion, Brian calls faith. Brian’s confidence stems from the faith he has in his father. He knows that his dad is there backing him up. He knows his dad is ready to step in and help when needed in a way that is not insulting or hurtful to him. Now, I don’t suggest that all is perfect in Brian-land, because it’s not. I still remember the day when Brian rode his skateboard down a ridiculously steep hill in direct disobedience to his father’s instruction. I didn’t see what happened, but I was told that the crash was one of historical proportions. I also heard about the ambulance, the tears, the blood and the hospital. When I saw Brian a few days later, he was wearing a broad smile as he proudly asked me to sign his cast. I admire the way he survives calamity with such joy!

It is obvious that Brian’s reality is not without pain. He has experienced just how dangerous and difficult life can be, especially when living outside of his father’s guidance. Brian has learned this because his dad is not a control freak. He allows Brian an appropriate level of freedom, giving him the opportunity to fail. This has taught Brian that failures are not fatal. They are just setbacks on the reality-filled and God-assured road to a wonderful life. He knows that if he fails, he can always get up and try again.

Watching Brian grow in life helps me to grow too. He shows me how to live. I want to be more like Brian, more childlike and more trusting in God, my heavenly Father. So, I think I will pack up my failures and go to the beach today. I am going to run and dive headfirst into a wave that is bigger than me. I’m going to laugh. And I am going to pick myself up and I am going to do it again. I am going to saturate myself in the process of living life and immerse myself in the process of trusting God. I am going to trust my Dad, who I call God, to give me what I need when I need it and to help me when I fall and get hurt. Because that’s just a matter of time for boys like Brian and me.

copyright 2009, David Zailer

1 comment: